The school was established by the Society of Jesus in 1962 and it bears the name of one of the most famous English Jesuits who was martyred for the Faith in 1581, Edmund Campion, S.J.

Since its founding, the School has been led and guided by 7 headmasters:

Fr Michael Fox S.J.
1962
Fr William Webb, S.J. (Deputy and Acting)
1962 - 1963
Fr Peter Hackett, S.J.
1963 - 1965
Philip J. Moloney
1965 - 1980
Dr John F Rowbottom
1980 - 1993
Mr John Johnson (Deputy and Acting)
1993 - 2011
Mr Keith Williams
2011 - Present