The process of applying for Free School Meals has now been simplified. There is no longer a requirement to complete an application form or attend a Council building with proof of eligibility. Parents/carers can now apply over the telephone and online. Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
For more information about applying for Free School Meals, please visit the Government website. The contact for parents/carers and for schools is Sally Delaney (01708 433929).