|Exam Board||Subject Leader|
|AQA||Miss J Edwards|
Students at GCSE study either combined science (trilogy), worth two GCSEs, or study separate GCSEs in each of biology, chemistry and physics. Students studying three separate GCSEs cover the following subjects in biology:
- Topic 1: Cell biology
- Topic 2: Organisation
- Topic 3: Infection and response
- Topic 4: Bioenergetics
- Topic 5: Homeostasis and response
- Topic 6: Inheritance, variation and evolution
- Topic 7: Ecology
- Topic 8: Key ideas
Students sit two papers for GCSE biology. Each paper assesses knowledge and understanding from different topics. Each paper is a written exam lasting 1 hour and 45 minutes. Questions can be multiple choice, structured, closed short answer or open response.
- Paper 1 examines topics 1-4: cell biology; organisation; infection and response; and bioenergetics.
- Paper 2 examines topics 5-7: homeostasis and response; inheritance, variation and evolution; and ecology.
Progression and Complementary Studies
This GCSE provides an idea preparation for students who may wish to go on to study sciences at A-Level.